The volcano near Fagradalsfjall has awakened again. We in Fjallakofanum, The Mountain Hut, encourage all that intend to do the hike to check the weather in advance and keep in mind that the hike is quite long and in a mountain area. The hike to the eruption itself is about 7 km each way, with a 300 m incline. It takes approximately 2 hours to hike each way. It is still possible to hike the Langihryggur viewpoint, and observe the eruption from a safe distance. That is a quick and easy hike, but the eruption is quite far away. Please check the Safe Travel website for updated information about the weather and conditions near the volcano.
If you intend to do the hike, make sure that you have the right gear and that you are well rested.
Most importantly, be safe and enjoy the hike!
Here is an equipment list for all the necessary gear you need for a long hike, in difficult terrain, where one can expect rapid weather change. Click the link to get further information:
- Good hiking shoes - MEN or WOMEN
- Wool hiking socks - MEN or WOMEN
- Wool next to skin and Fleece jackets - MEN'S FLEECE - MEN'S WOOL or WOMEN'S FLEECE - WOMEN'S WOOL
- Hiking pants - MEN'S or WOMEN'S
- Hats, gloves or mittens - HATS, GLOVES or MITTENS
- Insulated jackets – down or synthetic - MEN'S or WOMEN'S
IN THE BACKPACK:
- Wind- and water repellent shells - MEN'S JACKETS - MEN'S PANTS or WOMEN'S JACKETS - WOMEN'S PANTS
- HEADLIGHTS & spare batteries
- HIKING POLES
- WATER BOTTLE
- THERMO BOTTLE
- FIRST AID KIT
- EMERGENCY SHELTER or BLANKET
- EMERGENCY WHISTLE
- FEMALE URINARY DEVICE
- Hiking snacks
- Some light lunch
- Phone and power bank
No cotton clothing
If you are travelling with a toddler, these child carriers might be helpful.
Have a safe journey!